Here’s the latest interview for my research project on Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries. Neil Youngson is Technical Director of Cabinet UK Ltd, a small London-based creative digital agency providing clients with comprehensive interactive solutions. Projects are varied, examples being on-line stores for the V&A Museum and Hidden Art, a global brand extranet for Orange, and a photo kiosk solution for cruise ships.
In addition to bespoke solutions Cabinet has created a suite of hosted software applications called PictureCabinet, which is a system for managing image collections and generating revenues through on-line image licensing and print sales. PictureCabinet is used by a number of cultural institutions such as the V&A Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Museum of London, the National Theatre, and the National Museum of Photography Film and Television. Not all the hosted collections are from such traditional institutions though, the expanding list of clients includes Hed Kandi, Poker Images, Buyagift, and Chelsea Blues in black and white – a collection Neil disapproves of being an Arsenal fan! View some of these projects at Memory Prints.
Cabinet is a small company employing 12 staff from 6 different countries. The role of the directors is very much hands-on in terms of running projects, dealing with clients, and providing creative and technical input.
Neil describes the experience of working as part of a small team of highly-skilled workers, in which the culture of collaboration and mutual learning enables the directors to manage with a light touch.
Click the ‘AUDIO MP3’ icon below to hear the interview.
Table of contents for Research: Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries
- Take Part in My Research – ‘Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries’
- Research Project: Definition of ‘Coaching’ for this Project
- Research Project: Definition of ‘Creative Industries’
- Questionnaire for Managers in the UK Creative Industries
- Questionnaire for Employees in the UK Creative Industries
- Online questions for UK Creative Industry Staff
- Interview with Mick Rigby, Managing Director, Monkey Communications
- Research Project Featured on ‘Better Business Blogging’
- Interview with Ruth Kenley-Letts, Film Producer
- Interview with Chris Arnold, Executive Creative Director, BLAC
- Interview with Russell Davies, Advertising Planning Maestro
- Interview with Chris Hirst, Managing Director, Grey London
- Interview with David Roberts, Senior Project Manager, Creative Launchpad
- Interview with Neil Youngson, Technical Director, Cabinet UK Ltd
- Interview with Greg Orme, Chief Executive, Centre for Creative Business
- Interview with Chris Grant, Consultant, 14A Conversations
- Interview with Antonio Gould, Consultant, and Sara Harris, Screen Media Lab
- Interview with Richard Scott, Surface Architects
- Interview with Ben Demiri, Brand Manager, SIX Showroom
- Interview with Sian Prime, NESTA Creative Pioneer Programme
- Interview with Jill Fear, CPD Manager, The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising
- Interview with Terry Childs, Creative Director, Silver Chair
- Interview with Matt Taylor, Director, Fat Beehive
- Interview with Mark Earls, Advertising Contrarian
- Interview with David Amor, Creative Director, Relentless Software