This morning I had a very enjoyable chat with Mick Rigby, Managing Director of Monkey Communications, as the first interview for my research project on Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries.
As a founding director of a creative communications planning agency, Mick had some very interesting things to say about managing and developing people in a business that requires a highly specialised form of creative thinking.
Monkey is a creative communications agency that has extended traditional media planning to include other communications channels, such as sponsorship, event creation, PR and ambient. On 6th August they will make broadcasting history by producing the first ever live TV ads, with Match.com and ITV (Love Island, 10pm).
Talking to Mick, I was fascinated by the way Monkey’s people management strategy has evolved organically from their business and communications strategy. Topics covered in the interview include hybrid managers, the dangers of being a prima donna, and why Van Gogh would have struggled in an agency.
Many thanks to Mick for getting the interviews off to a great start. I’ve got some more interesting interviewees lined up for the project – watch this space…
Table of contents for Research: Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries
- Take Part in My Research – ‘Perceptions of Coaching in the UK Creative Industries’
- Research Project: Definition of ‘Coaching’ for this Project
- Research Project: Definition of ‘Creative Industries’
- Questionnaire for Managers in the UK Creative Industries
- Questionnaire for Employees in the UK Creative Industries
- Online questions for UK Creative Industry Staff
- Interview with Mick Rigby, Managing Director, Monkey Communications
- Research Project Featured on ‘Better Business Blogging’
- Interview with Ruth Kenley-Letts, Film Producer
- Interview with Chris Arnold, Executive Creative Director, BLAC
- Interview with Russell Davies, Advertising Planning Maestro
- Interview with Chris Hirst, Managing Director, Grey London
- Interview with David Roberts, Senior Project Manager, Creative Launchpad
- Interview with Neil Youngson, Technical Director, Cabinet UK Ltd
- Interview with Greg Orme, Chief Executive, Centre for Creative Business
- Interview with Chris Grant, Consultant, 14A Conversations
- Interview with Antonio Gould, Consultant, and Sara Harris, Screen Media Lab
- Interview with Richard Scott, Surface Architects
- Interview with Ben Demiri, Brand Manager, SIX Showroom
- Interview with Sian Prime, NESTA Creative Pioneer Programme
- Interview with Jill Fear, CPD Manager, The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising
- Interview with Terry Childs, Creative Director, Silver Chair
- Interview with Matt Taylor, Director, Fat Beehive
- Interview with Mark Earls, Advertising Contrarian
- Interview with David Amor, Creative Director, Relentless Software