(with a special bonus for Wishful Thinking readers)
If you’re a Wishful Thinking reader, I’m guessing ‘creativity’ is pretty high up the list of things you love to do, and ‘sales and marketing’ are a lot further down.
And I know from talking to my coaching and training clients that the term “internet marketing” can sound a bit tacky — bringing to mind high-pressure sales pages with lots of yellow highlighter and testimonials from people you’ve never heard of. Either that or it looks incredibly complicated, requiring technical knowledge that would take a lifetime to learn. Or both at once.
I know how you feel. As an introverted poet, I’d hope I don’t fit the stereotypical image of an internet marketer. I don’t drive a Porsche, spend my days on the beach or earn millions of dollars while I sleep. And I’m not a programmer or web developer — everything I know I’ve picked up via the internet, and pretty late in my career. Trust me, it’s not rocket science.
Maybe you don’t yet have a website. Or maybe you’re one of the many people with a nice-looking website that sits there like an empty shop, waiting for customers to show up.
Maybe you’re wondering whether you should start a blog or e-mail newsletter, or whether you’re better off spending your time on Twitter, Facebook, or joining a forum. Or whether the whole thing is in fact a colossal waste of time.
Or maybe you’re a little further down the road — you’re finding your feet as a blogger, podcaster or social networker and have already seen the value to your business. What you’re looking for is some solid advice that will help you take things to the next level. As well as a bit of support and encouragement from people who ‘get’ what you’re trying to do.
Again, I know how you feel — in fact, I’ve just described the stages of the process I’ve gone through as an internet marketer. I started out with a ‘brochure’ website that gave a great description of my services — but never actually sold anything. Then four years ago, I started writing a blog here on Wishful Thinking, which was the beginning of an amazing journey…
How I Transformed My Business Using Internet Marketing
Over the last four years I’ve developed my websites to the point where they attract tens of thousands of visitors every month, and are my main source of new coaching and training work. Last year, I launched my first-ever public training workshops via this website, and sold them out well in advance. I also launched my first e-learning programme, The Lateral Action Entrepreneur Course, in partnership with Brian Clark and Tony Clark, two very successful entrepreneurs who have forgotten more than I know about internet marketing. And I have several new projects in development, that I could never have dreamt of when I started out.
To begin with, it was very much a process of trial and error. I spent hundreds of hours sifting through blogs, e-books, forums, podcasts and courses, looking for marketing advice that actually worked for my business. Frankly, I wasted a lot of time and found plenty of dead ends.
As time went on, I kept coming back to the same few teachers — people who earned my trust by giving me valuable, actionable information that did what it said on the tin. Some of it they gave away for free on their blogs and newsletters, and some of it was training I paid for. All of it was worth my time and attention. And I don’t need a calculator to know that their advice has earned me far more money than I spent.
Prominent among this group of teachers were Brian Clark, Tony Clark, Sonia Simone, Chris Brogan and Darren Rowse. In Brian and Tony’s case, I liked their training so much I persuaded them to go into business with me, resulting in Lateral Action.
So when Sonia sent me an invitation to join Third Tribe Marketing – a new internet marketing community, founded by the people I’ve just listed – I jumped at the chance. I’ve waited several months before writing about it, because I wanted to see how it turned out. Now it’s one of the two websites I visit just about every working day, to network, learn, and promote my business. (The other one is Twitter.)
So What Exactly Is Third Tribe?
The name Third Tribe came out of an article Sonia wrote on Copyblogger.com, where she playfully stereotyped ‘two tribes’ of prominent internet users:
- The Social Media Cool Kids — spreading peace and love online via social networks, open source software and a culture of inclusiveness and collaboration. Unfortunately peace and love doesn’t pay the bills — and many of the Cool Kids struggle because they lack the marketing skills needed to convert popularity into sales.
- The Internet Marketers — these are the people who write those long sales pages and make the glitzy videos about earning enough money while you sleep. Some of the techniques might look a bit tacky, but some of these guys really do make mind-boggling amounts of cash.
Sonia floated the idea of a ‘third tribe’ made up of cool kids who have figured out how to make a healthy living online without selling their souls. This sparked a lively debate in the comments and around the web, which led to the launch of Third Tribe Marketing, a private membership site comprising two main elements:
The backbone of the site is a series of seminars delivered by the founders – Darren Rowse, Brian Clark, Chris Brogan, Sonia Simone — plus guest seminars from leading internet marketers, entrepreneurs and bloggers, including John Jantsch, Jeff Walker, Johnny B. Truant, Leo Babauta, Dave Navarro and Jonathan Morrow. The seminars are in the form of in-depth audio interviews, with full transcripts, ‘next action’ worksheets and links to further resources.
The beating heart of Third Tribe is the discussion forums. With over 2,000 members, there are always plenty of lively conversations to join. The atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming, and one of the nice things about it is the way some very experienced members go out of their way to help the beginners. Some very successful people are being very generous with their knowledge in the forums, and every week I bookmark several discussions as resources to come back to. Brian, Chris, Darren and Sonia are all active in the forums, so it’s a great place to pick their brains. There’s a Q&A Forum, where you can ask them questions and get a thorough response in the regular audio Q&A sessions. And there’s a dedicated Creatives’ Forum, where Wishful Thinking readers should feel at home.
Seminars Delivered So Far
Here’s a list of the seminars delivered so far in the Third Tribe – all of which are instantly available for you do download when you join.
- Product Launch Strategies: What Always Works and What’s Working in 2010
Jeff Walker & Sonia Simone
- Traffic Jam: How to Attract Web Traffic and Capitalize on It
Brian Clark & Jon Morrow
- How to Get Your Customers to Do Your Best Marketing for You
John Jantsch & Chris Brogan
- Email Marketing Strategies that Work
Sonia Simone & Brian Clark
- Action Email: Copywriting Tips for Insanely Effective Email Marketing
Dave Navarro & Sonia Simone
- Internet Business Models: Part One – the Problogger model
Darren Rowse & Brian Clark
- Internet Business Models: Part Two – the Chris Brogan model
Chris Brogan & Sonia Simone
- Internet Business Models: Part Three – the Copyblogger model
Brian Clark & Sonia Simone
- Internet Business Models: Part Four – the Zen Habits model
Leo Babauta & Darren Rowse
- The Quick Start Guide to Making Money Online
Johnny Truant & Sonia Simone
- Advanced Affiliate Marketing with Social Media and SEO
Brian Clark & Glenn Allsopp
- Five Strategic Ways to Use SEO for Public Relations
Lee Odden & Brian Clark
- How to Translate Ideas into Action
Chris Garrett & Sonia Simone
- Video Marketing
Dave Kaminski & Darren Rowse
- Behind the Scenes Product Launch
Johnny Truant & Sonia Simone
- Becoming a Better Writer
- The Critical Keys to Success with Google AdWords
Geordie Carswell & Brian Clark
There are full seminar descriptions on the Third Tribe site.
You’ll Love Third Tribe If …
- you want to learn internet marketing without doing anything tacky
- you want to sort the wheat from the chaff, and spend your time using marketing strategies that work
- you want support, feedback and encouragement from a group of like-minded people
- you enjoy learning by listening to audio (or reading transcripts)
- you like using worksheets that give you specific ‘next steps’ to apply the lessons to your own business
- you want to learn how to take a creative and enjoyable approach to marketing
It Won’t Be Your Cup of Tea If …
- you don’t enjoy spending time on the internet
- you can’t even entertain the idea of marketing yourself
- you don’t have much time to invest in learning and implementing new ideas
- you don’t enjoy listening to audio lessons (or reading interview transcripts)
- you’re looking for a highly structured training programme — Third Tribe is an ongoing learning process, not a course with a clear start and end. (But have a look at a special bonus I’m offering below, which could help you with that part…)
How I Will Help You Make the Most of Your Third Tribe Membership
If you join Third Tribe, please let me know so that I can help you make the most of your membership. Send me an e-mail [mark at wishfulthinking.co.uk] telling me what you want to get out of Third Tribe, and I’ll do my best to point you in the direction of the right seminar content, discussion threads and cool people who could help you out.
And I’ll also give you a special bonus course that will help you get started on your internet marketing journey – see below…
OK, So What Does It Cost?
Third Tribe membership costs $97 for the first month – giving you instant access to over 20 hours of expert training. After that, it’s a monthly subscription of $47.
Having experienced Third Tribe at first hand, to me it seems very reasonable for the value of the teaching materials and networking connections. $47 is far less than you would pay for a monthly coaching session from an experienced coach or business adviser. And I’ve paid a lot more money for learning programmes that have delivered a lot less, in terms of quantity and quality.
Whether the monthly fee seems high or low to you will depend on how you look at it. Here’s one way.
How many of the following would you have to generate every month in order to earn more than $47?
- New sales
- New business contacts who could help you
- New and effective ways of selling your products or services online
- New ideas for products and services
- New subscribers to your mailing list/blog/newsletter
Once you’ve worked that out, the choice should be clearer.
And remember, because Third Tribe has already been going for several months, a lot of training material has already accumulated — which you can access the moment you sign up. Right now, that means over 20 hours of audio seminars and Q&A calls, plus the transcripts and worksheets. I’ve not seen anywhere else where you can legally get hold of that amount of training by top internet marketers for less than $100.
Personally, I can’t imagine being without Third Tribe, even after only a few months. To give you just one example — my free Creative Pathfinder course is based on an idea I lifted directly from one of the seminars. The result? In less than three weeks over 2,000 students have enrolled, and it’s generating a lot of positive word-of-mouth about my business.
You can try Third Tribe risk-free — if you sign up and then decide it’s not for you, you can ask for a full refund, no questions asked, up to 30 days after joining.
SPECIAL BONUS for Wishful Thinking Readers
To help you get the most out of your Third Tribe membership, I’m going to give a special bonus to any Wishful Thinking readers who join.
I know many of you are relatively new to Internet marketing, and could do with a solid introduction to the subject, in order to get the best value out of the Third Tribe seminars and community. So I’m going to give you just that, in the form of the online version of my popular workshop Web Marketing for Creative People.
This is an 8,000 word course that covers:
- How I transformed my websites into popular blogs that bring me a stream of new business
- The critical skills for success online
- Why authenticity is more effective than advertising
- What kind of website should you have?
- What social networks should you be using? (Facebook? Twitter? MySpace? Etc)
- How to promote your business through ‘content marketing’
- When — and how — to ask for a sale
- How to make your web marketing an expression of your creativity
Every section has a ‘next action’ checklist to help you put the ideas into practice. And the text is littered with links to free tutorials, blogs, e-books, software tools and other resources to help you promote your business online.
I’ll give you access to the course via the Members’ Area of Wishful Thinking. You will have access to it (including future updates) as long as you are a member of Third Tribe.
To join Third Tribe and claim your bonus course Web Marketing for Creative People, sign up on the Third Tribe Website.
Important: to qualify for the special bonus, you need to sign up for Third Tribe by clicking one of the links on this page.
Why Am I Promoting Third Tribe?
Firstly, in case you’re wondering, I’m an affiliate partner for Third Tribe, which means I earn a commission on membership fees from people who sign up via the links on the Wishful Thinking website.
Secondly, I’m very selective about the products and services I promote as an affiliate. (If you’ve been reading Wishful Thinking for any length of time, you’ll know I don’t do it very often.) I’ve chosen to promote Third Tribe for four reasons:
- The quality of the training material. These are leading Internet marketers, offering access to their expertise at a very reasonable price.
- The integrity of the founders. I worked with Brian and Tony for two years and we’re still good friends. I’ve seen at first hand how committed they are to delivering an amazing experience for their customers. I’m also pleased to count Chris and Sonia as friends, and have similarly high regard for their professional standards. I don’t know Darren personally, but after 4 years of receiving consistently excellent advice from him at Problogger.net and hearing a chorus of praise for him as an individual, I’m confident he will deliver the goods for you.
- The helpfulness of the community. Not only am I learning a lot from the forums, I’m making new friends and getting to know previous contacts much better.
- The “See, I’m not making this up!” factor. When working with clients on their internet marketing, I keep referring to ideas from the Third Tribe approach. Frankly, it would make my work easier (and help you get more value from my coaching) if you had listened to the same podcasts and gone through the same worksheets as me!
Well, there it is. Thanks for reading this far and good luck with your Internet marketing efforts, whatever you decide about Third Tribe.
P.S. — If you do decide to join Third Tribe, remember to (a) click on a link from this page, to qualify for your bonus course, and (b) tell me! E-mail me [mark at wishfulthinking.co.uk] and tell me your Third Tribe username and what you want to achieve by being a member of the community. I’ll give you access to your bonus course and do my best to point you in the direction of the most relevant resources on Third Tribe.